Argentina, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria and Uganda:
joint draft resolution
3 November 1966
The Security Council,
Having heard the statements of the representatives of Israel and Syria and taking note of the reports of the Secretary-General in documents S/7553 of 17 October, S/7561/Rev.1 of 23 October, S/7572 of 1 November and S/7573 of 2 November 1966,
1. Deplores the incidents which have been the subject of this debate, as well as the loss of human life and casualties caused by them;
2. Invites the Government of Syria to strengthen its measures for preventing incidents that constitute a violation of the General Armistice Agreement;
3. Invites the Government of Israel to co-operate fully with the Israel-Syria Mixed Armistice Commission;
4. Calls upon the Governments of Syria and Israel to facilitate the work of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization personnel in their tasks of observation and investigation on both sides of the Armistice Demarcation Line;
5. Urges the Governments of Syria and Israel to refrain from any action that might increase the tension in the area;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council as appropriate.
The Security Council on 4 November 1966 voted on the draft resolution as follows:
In favour: Argentina, France, Japan, Netherlands, New Zeland, Nigeria, Uganda, Uruguay, United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland, States of America.
Against: Bulgaria, Jordan, Mali, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.