The Security Council,
Having considered the letter dated 22 March 1982 from the Permanent Representative of Jordan (S/14917),
1. Denounces measures imposed on the Palestinian population such as the dismissal of elected mayors by Israeli authorities, as well as the violation of the liberties and rights of the inhabitants of the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip which followed the measures taken by Israel with regard to the Golan Heights, and which could only damage the prospects for peace;
2. Calls on Israel, the occupying Power, to rescind its decision disbanding the elected municipal council of El Bireh and its decision to remove from their posts the Mayors of Nablus and Ramallah;
3. Reaffirms that all the provisions of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949 continue to apply in full to all of the occupied territories;
4. Calls upon Israel to cease forthwith all measures applied in the West Bank, including Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip and the Syrian Golan Heights, which contravene the provisions of the fourth Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949;
5. Calls upon the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council not later than 7 April 1982 on the implementation of this resolution;
6. Decides to remain seized with this item.
The Security Council on 2 April 1982 voted on the draft resolution follows: In favour: China, France, Guyana, Ireland, Japan, Jordan, Panama, Poland, Spain, Togo, Uganda, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland. Against: United States of America. Abstained: Zaire.