PLace

al-Ghazzawiyya

Place
al-Ghazzawiyya — الغَزّاوِيَّة
District
Galilee
Average Elevation
-250 m
Subdistrict
Baysan
Distance from Baysan
2 km
Population
Year Arab Jews Total
1944/45 * 1020 620 1640
Land Ownership (1944/45) in dunums
Year Arab Jewish Public Total
1944/45 * 5323 7625 5460 18408
Land Use (1944/45) in dunums
Use Arab Jewish Public Total
Non-Cultivable & Built-up (Total) *
Use Arab Jewish Public Total
Non-Cultivable * 91 10 3899 4000
Built-up ** 100 100
91 110 3899 4100 (22%)
Cultivable (Total) **
Use Arab Jewish Public Total
Cereal * 5185 6771 1561 13517
Plantation and Irrigable ** 34 744 778
Citrus and Bananas *** 13 13
5232 7515 1561 14308 (78%)

The village spread over a wide area in the Baysan Valley, west of the Jordan and next to the Baysan-Jericho highway. Its inhabitants were members of the al-Ghazzawiyya Bedouin tribe, who, together with tribes of the al-Bashatiwa and the al-Suqur, constituted the bulk of the valley's population. They had settled in the area because of the availability of water and fertile soil, and lived in both permanent houses and tents. All of them were Muslims. Crop cultivation and animal husbandry were the chief occupations of the 'Arab al-Ghazzawiyya. Crops-mainly grain, in addition to fruits and vegetables-were either irrigated or rainfed. The village was also known in the region for its wool and dairy products. In 1944/45 a total of 13 dunums was devoted to citrus and bananas and 5,185 dunums were allocated to cereals; 34 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. The villagers tended their animals in the Jordan Valley in winter and in the highlands in summer. Tall al-Barta (200213), to the north, Tall al-Husn (197212), to the west, and Tall al-Maliha (199211), to the southwest of the village, provide evidence that the area has always attracted settlement. The excavation of Tall al-Husn revealed an occupational history that extended from the third millennium B.C. to the eighth century A.D., when the site was occupied by an Arab village.

The village came under Israeli control on 20 May 1948, the week after the Golani Brigade occupied the nearby town of Baysan. Israeli historian Benny Morris, who refers to the villageas ''Arab al Ghazawiya,' indicates that the inhabitants may have fled under the influence of the fall of Baysan. The History of the Haganah's account of the Baysan operation states that the Fourth Battalion of the Golani Brigade 'cleansed the entire Beisan valley of bedouins.'

No new Israeli settlements seem to have been established on the lands of the village after its fall but several pre-1948 settlements are in the area where the village was located. The most important is the settlement of Ma'oz Chayyim (202211), built in 1937 and located on a hill on the road between Baysan and the al-Shaykh Husayn bridge. Another is Newe Eytan (200211), built in 1938. Both were built on what was traditionally village land.

No physical evidence indicates that the village ever existed; the entire area has been levelled and is now cultivated by Israeli farmers.