PLace

al-Hamra'

Place
al-Hamra' — الحَمْراء
District
Galilee
Average Elevation
100 m
Subdistrict
Safad
Distance from Safad
24.5 km

The village, classified as a hamlet by the Palestine Index Gazetteer, was located on the lower slopes of the Golan Heights. It overlooked the al-Hula Plain on all sides except the east and faced the village of al-Muftakhira, about 1 km to the northwest. Wadi al-Dufayla, which drained the Golan Heights, flowed between the two villages in a northeast-southwest direction, turning sharply to the south below al-Muftakhira.

Israeli military intelligence claimed that the residents of al-Hamra', fearing an attack by Zionist forces, fled in panic on 1 May. The residents of Khiyam al-Walid and Ghuraba (1 km southeast and 3 km south of the village, respectively) left their villages on the same day. Al-Hamra' was seized during Operation Yiftach (see Abil al-Qamh, Safad District). No mention is made of the villagers' destination or the ultimate fate of the village itself.

The settlement of Shamir (212285), established in 1944, is about 2 km northeast of the site; it is not on village lands.

The entire site is fenced in and serves as an Israeli cow pasture (see photo). Two houses built of stone without mortar stand on the site. The remains of some black basalt walls are also visible.