PLace

al-Mansura

Place
al-Mansura — المَنْصُورَة
District
Galilee
Subdistrict
Safad
Average Elevation
100 m
Distance from Safad
31 km
Population
Year Arab Total
1944/45 360
1931 89
Land Ownership (1944/45) in dunums
Year Arab Jewish Public Total
1944/45 1254 175 115 1544
Land Use (1944/45) in dunums
Use Arab Jewish Public Total
Non-Cultivable & Built-up (Total)
Use Arab Public Total
Non-Cultivable 115 115
Built-up 5 5
5 115 120 (8%)
Cultivable (Total)
Use Arab Jewish Total
Plantation and Irrigable 1249 175 1424
1249 175 1424 (92%)
Number of Houses (1931)
18

The village stood on flat terrain near the western bank of the Banyas River, close to the Syrian border. Travelers' reports from the late nineteenth century describe al-Mansura as a village built of stone and mud and situated on a plain near a river. The village was surrounded by arable land and had a population of about seventy. Its modern population consisted entirely of Muslims. In 1944/45 a total of 1,249 dunums of its land was irrigated or used for orchards. Several khirbas and tells lay in the vicinity of al-Mansura.

Clashes took place at al-Mansura in the early months of the war. The New York Times reported a skirmish at the village between British troops and a 'superior' Arab force (most probably an Arab Liberation Army unit) during the late afternoon of 12 February 1948. The British patrol engaged the Arab force, losing one soldier; the report did not mention Arab casualties. The following month, on the afternoon of 5 March, a platoon of fifteen Haganah men arrived at the outskirts of the village, according to the Palestinian newspaper Filastin. A brief clash ensued, resulting in one villager being wounded.

Al-Mansura was depopulated on 25 May 1948 at the end of Operation Yiftach as a result of the same combination of tactics (psychological warfare and direct military assault) that had caused the depopulation of the other villages in the area (see Abil al-Qamh, Safad District).

The settlement of She'ar Yashuv (210292), established in 1940, is located about 1 km northeast of the village site.

The village has been completely obliterated and it is difficult to identify any trace of its former buildings. The site has been converted by Israelis into a fish hatchery and contains pools for this purpose. Between the pools there is a narrow strip of thorns and trees.