The village, situated on the site of the Crusader 'Careblier,' stood on a small rocky hill overlooking the plain of Acre. A secondary road connected it with the villages of al-Damun and al-Birwa, to the north, and ultimately to the Acre–Safad highway. This road also linked it to the main Acre–Haifa road, on the coast. In the late nineteenth century, al-Ruways was situated on open ground with olive groves to the north. Its entire population of about 400 was Muslim. AI-Ruways was one of the smallest villages in the district. The village houses, built initially of stone and, from the 1930s onward, of reinforced concrete, were grouped in two quarters, separated by a road. The village had its own mosque; its children went to school in the village of al-Damun. The people of al-Ruways obtained their drinking water from domestic wells that collected rainwater in the winter. They worked principally in agriculture, cultivating wheat, corn, sesame, watermelons, and olives. In 1944/45 a total of 844 dunums was allocated to cereals; 222 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards, of which 40 dunums were planted with olive trees.
Southwest of al-Ruways was a khirba, the antiquities of which included fallen walls, cisterns, and rock–hewn tombs. Milestones that once marked Roman roads were found 1 km to the southeast.
After occupying Nazareth on 16 July 1948, units of the Israeli army's Seventh Brigade advanced into western Galilee to take some of the villages in the district of Acre, including al-Ruways. Bolstered by successes at al-Ruways and other villages, Israeli forces moved deeper into Central Galilee towards Sakhnin. Most civilians in the area fled under bombardment or as a result of the fall of neighboring towns (Nazareth, Shafa Amr, and others).
There are no Israeli settlements on village lands. The settlement of Ya'sur, established in 1949, lies to the north of al-Damun and cultivates the lands of al-Ruways.
The site is deserted. The debris of old wells and cement roofs is strewn over the site, which is otherwise covered by a forest of eucalyptus trees and cactuses. The surrounding lands are cultivated by the residents of Ya'sur.