The village extended over a wide area south of the village of Masil al-Jizl and Wadi al-Shaykh Mahmud, and overlooked a broad, open area to the east of the Jordan. A secondary road linked it to the Baysan-Jericho highway that ran 5 km to the west of it, and dirt paths connected it to neighboring villages on the Jordan. In the late nineteenth century, the French traveler Guérin passed through Arab al-Safa, where he reported finding several ancient tombs. Like many villages in Baysan sub-disctrict, Arab al-Safa was originally a summer camping site for nomadic Bedouin that later became a permanent settlement when the Bedouin adopted a sedentary way of life.
Several springs flowed in village lands near the Jordan. The village houses, built of cane and mud, and the tents of some villagers were scattered on both sides of the secondary road that led to the Baysan-Jericho road. Agriculture was the main source of livelihood for the predominantly Muslim population. Their arable lands lay to the east of the village, most notably in the
The village of Arab al-Safa was depopulated on 20 May 1948, most probably in the wake of the fall of Baysan, which had been captured around one week earlier in an operation that targeted the entire Baysan Valley. The occupying forces were units of the Golani Brigade, acting within the framework of Plan Dalet.
There are no Israeli settlements on village lands. However, Tirat Tzvi, founded in 1937, is close to the site on the lands of al-Zarra'a, to the southwest; Sde Eliyyahu, established in 1939, is also close by on the lands of Arab al-Arida, west of Arab al-Safa.
Three palm trees stand on the village site. The surrounding lands are used for growing wheat.