The village was situated in the middle of the Baysan Valley. Its houses were built on both sides of the upper reaches of Wadi Kafra, a shallow Valley. A secondary road linked it to the Baysan-Jericho highway, and other roads connected it to surrounding villages. There was a small forest south of the village. It had been known by the name Kafra since at least the time of the Crusades, when the Crusaders spelled it "Caffra." Its population was Muslim. A shrine for a local religious teacher, Shaykh Muhammad, stood to the east of the village. Due to its location at a crossroads between many villages, Kafra became a hub of commercial activity for the area, but agriculture remained the mainstay of the village economy. Grain, vegetables, and olives were the main crops. In 1944/45 a total of 7,284 dunums was allocated to cereals; 36 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. Kafra also was an archaeological site in which a trough carved out of basalt and the ruins of an ancient village were found.