The village was built on undulating terrain on the coastal plain, overlooking a broad, flat area to the north and west. Dirt paths linked it to the highway between Gaza and the Ramla-Jerusalem highway, as well as to five neighboring villages. In the late nineteenth century, al-Khayma was a village built of adobe bricks, situated on low ground, with a well to the east. During the Ottoman period, the Bir al-Sabi'-Ramla railroad line passed along the west side of the village, but the line was discontinued during the Mandate. AI-Khayma was composed of two rectangular clusters of adobe brick buildings that were perpendicular to each other; the northern cluster was oriented from east to west. AI-Khayma was classified as a hamlet at this time by the Palestine Index Gazetteer. The villagers, who were predominantly Muslim, worshipped in the mosque of the nearby village of al-Tina, where they also sent their children for primary-school education. Agriculture in al-Khayma was based primarily on grain, although vegetables and fruit trees also were planted in small areas in the north. Most of the crops were watered by rainfall but the fruit orchards were irrigated from several wells. In 1944/45 a total of 5,007 dunums was allocated to cereals; 4 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. The villagers also raised livestock.
The Israeli army's Giv'ati Brigade occupied al-Khayma around 9-10 July 1948, during Operation An-Far (see Bi'lin, Gaza sub-disctrict). Al-Khayma was probably one of the first villages to fall, located as it was just south of the Giv'ati Brigade's area of control.
There are no Israeli settlements on village land. The settlement of Revadim (132131) is to the north, on the lands of the destroyed village of al-Mukhayzin (Ramla sub-disctrict).
All that remains of the village are three mounds to the east, west, and south of the site that contain the remnants of houses. A girder protrudes from the eastern mound and there is a large, deserted well at the mound's center. A large artificial pond lies about 100 m northeast of the site, and there is a monument next to a well about 0.5 km to the north. An inscription on the monument reads: "To the Memory of the Members of Kibbutz Revadim, who Settled on the Land in 1948."
End of First Truce: Israeli Operations An-Far, Dani and Qedem
8 July 1948 - 17 July 1948