The village stood on a low hill that was 1 km from the seashore. It overlooked the Wadi al-Faliq Basin, to the north, and an artificial canal, to the east, that flowed in a north-south direction and that was designed to drain the nearby marshland. A wide expanse of sand dunes bordered it on the west, and beyond this lay the coast. A secondary road linked Khirbat al-Zababida to the town of Qalqilya to the southeast. It was classified as a hamlet by the Palestine Index Gazetteer, and was inhabited by members of the Bedouin tribe of al-Nusayrat who had settled in this area at an unknown date. In the late nineteenth century, Khirbat al-Zababida was described as a moderate-sized village situated at the south edge of an arable plain. In 1944/45 a total of 344 dunums of village land was devoted to citrus and bananas and 3,839 dunums were allocated to cereals; 215 additional dunums were irrigated or used for orchards.
The village was located in a region that was the focus of Zionist attacks in the early weeks of the war. The coastal stretch north of Tel Aviv was an area of heavy Jewish settlement and it was considered imperative to 'clear' it of its Arab inhabitants by 15 May 1948. The village probably suffered the same fate as nearby Tabsur, whose remaining villagers were expelled by the Haganah on 3 April.
The settlements of Yaqum (135184), established in 1947, and Ga'ash (133181), established in 1951, are on village lands.
The site is deserted and overgrown with wild vegetation and trees. All but four of the houses have been destroyed. These four houses still have intact roofs. Three of them were made of cement bricks, and one of hard igneous stone. Iron girders from five destroyed houses protrude from piles of stones (see photos). A picnic site has been built for Kibbutz Yaqum on the edge of a natural pond.
A destroyed house on the village site.
An isolated house on the southeast side of the village site.
The same house in the photo on the previous page from a different angle.