The village was situated on a slightly elevated hill on the eastern edge of the al-Hula Plain, overlooking the plain to the west. Its name meant "the tents of al-Walid," which may have been a reference to the tents of the army led by the famous Muslim military leader, Khalid ibn al-Walid (d. 642), who conquered Syria from the Byzantines. In modern times Khiyam al-Walid was classified as a hamlet by the Palestine Index Gazetteer, and its population was predominantly Muslim. It had a rectangular layout, with its houses lined up along the road leading to the village of al-Zawiya. As the village expanded new housing was constructed in the east, where spring water (used only for drinking) was more readily available. It was a healthier alternative to the water of the malariainfested marshes of Lake al-Hula, nearby. In 1944/45 a total of 153 dunums was irrigated or used for orchards. According to tradition, the tomb of a Muslim sage, al-Shaykh ibn al-Walid, was located in the village. The tomb was enclosed by a shrine that was part of a mosque.
According to an Israeli military report filed at the end of June, Khiyam al-Walid was emptied of its residents on 1 May 1948; they fled in fear of a military attack by Jewish forces. The village was probably occupied at the same time, as the Galilee panhandle was overrun by Israeli forces by the end of May, during the last stages of Operation Yiftach (see Abil al-Qamh, Safad sub-disctrict).
The settlement of Lahavot ha-Bashan (210283), established in 1945 on village land, is just to the west of the village site.
The site is deserted and overgrown with grass and thorns. There are a few carob trees, piles of stones, and crumbled terraces. The surrounding land is used by Israeli farmers for grazing.