The village stood on a rocky hill at the eastern tip of the plain of Acre. A secondary road linked it to al-Damun, to the northwest. Its archaeology suggests that it dated back to Canaanite times ; the Crusaders knew it as Myary. In 1596, Mi'ar was a village in the nahiya of Akka (liwa' of Safad), with a population of 55. It paid taxes on a number of crops, including wheat, barley, and fruit, as well as on other types of produce, such as goats and beehives. In the late nineteenth century, Mi'ar was a large village situated on high ground that was rough and uncultivated. The residents of the village, who were estimated at 1,500 in 1859, cultivated some thirty faddans (1
In recent times, the houses of the village were made of stone. The Ottomans established a school in Mi'ar in 1888 but it was closed in the final years of the Empire. All of the people living in Mi'ar were Muslims. In 1944/45 they allocated a total of 2,878 dunums of their land to cereals; 113 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. A number of archaeological artifacts were found within and outside the village perimeters, including rock carvings, the remains of buildings, fragments of columns, olive presses, and cisterns.
In the second stage of the Israeli army's Operation Dekel , military units closed in on Mi'ar from recently-occupied areas in Lower Galilee. The village was entered by units of the Sheva' (Seventh) Brigade between 15 and 18 July 1948, according to Israeli historian Benny Morris. Morris' account implies that the villagers fled either as a result of artillery salvos or under the influence of the occupation of large parts of Lower Galilee.
The settlement of Segev was founded to the east of Mi'ar in 1953. Ya'ad was established in 1975 to the northeast of the village, and in 1980 Manof was built. All are on village lands. The settlement of Yuvallim), built in 1982 on land that traditionally belonged to nearby Sakhnin, is about 2 km due east of the site.
Some truncated stone walls, simple graves, and fig and olive trees remain on the site, which is covered by cypress trees. The area has been turned into recreational and picnic grounds.