The village stood on slightly elevated terrain in the bilad al-rawha' (see Daliyat al-Rawha', Haifa sub-disctrict); the landscape sloped toward the northern segment of the coastal plain. A secondary road linked the village to the coastal highway. In the late nineteenth century, the village of Qannir, built of adobe bricks, was situated on a low hill. Its 250 (Muslim) residents cultivated 24 faddans (1
Qannir was attacked repeatedly in early March 1948, in the first phase of the war. The Palestinian daily Filastin reported that the village was attacked on 5 March, adding that it was the third attack on the village in a week. According to the report, the attack was repulsed by the village contingent of the national guard; no mention was made of casualties.
After the fall of Haifa in late April, some of the surrounding villages were attacked or evacuated. Israeli historian Benny Morris states that the villagers of Qannir fled on 25 April, out of fear of an attack and under the influence of the offensive against Haifa. But Arab Liberation Army (ALA) records indicate that Qannir was still in Arab hands in early May, when it was briefly occupied by the Haganah. ALA commander Fawzi al-Qawuqji stated in one of his dispatches that at 4:00 a.m. on 8 May, an armored assault was launched against Qannir and neighboring Kafr Qar'. He added that the attack was 'resisted and repelled,' and that the enemy withdrew and both villages were recovered. It is not clear from either of these accounts when Haganah forces actually entered the village.
The settlement of Regavim was established on village lands in 1949. Morris writes that this settlement was moved to Qannir after having been first established at the nearby village of al-Butaymat in July 1948.
Stone rubble is strewn about the site, which is covered with thorns, fig trees, and cactus. Part of the adjacent land is used by the Israelis as pasture and the other part is cultivated.