PLace

Suruh

Place
Suruh — سُرُوح
District
Galilee
Average Elevation
525 m
Subdistrict
Acre
Distance from Acre
28.5 km
Population
Year Arab Total
1944/45 * 1000 1000
Land Ownership (1944/45) in dunums
Year Arab Public Total
1944/45 12548 6015 18563
Land Use (1944/45) in dunums
Use Arab Public Total
Non-Cultivable & Built-up (Total) *
Use Arab Public Total
Non-Cultivable * 8617 6011 14628
Built-up ** 112 112
8729 6011 14740 (79%)
Cultivable (Total) **
Use Arab Public Total
Cereal * 3200 4 3204
Plantation and Irrigable ** 619 619
3819 4 3823 (21%)

The village stood on a rocky hill and overlooked the village of Tarbikha. It faced the nearby village of al-Nabi Rubin, and like al-Nabi Rubin it was a satellite village of Tarbikha. In the late nineteenth century Suruh was a small agricultural and livestock–raising village with about ninety residents, most of whom were Muslim. Their houses were made of stone. They cultivated grain, olives, grapes, and tobacco, among other crops. In 1944/45 they allocated a total of 3,200 dunums of their land to cereals; 619 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. They used the facilities and services of Tarbikha, 1 km away, and sent their children to attend school there. Near Suruh lay two khirbas that contained an assortment of ancient artifacts, including crumbled walls, cisterns, and rock–hewn tombs.

Suruh was one of the first communities to be expelled during the Israeli army's campaign to 'clear' the northern border with Lebanon. In the second week of November 1948, as the main battles of the war were winding down, Israeli forces swept through several of these villages. It is not clear from Israeli historian Benny Morris' account whether the villagers were forced to cross into Lebanon (as were most neighboring villagers) or whether they were trucked to another location within Israeli–held territory (as was the case with the remainder). For weeks after the 'clearing' campaign was completed, the Israeli army periodically raided these villages to make sure that villagers had not returned to their homes. However, Morris does not indicate what eventually became of the village or its inhabitants.

The settlement of Shomera was established on part of the village site in 1949. Even Menachem, established in 1960, is very close to the village site. Kefar Rosenwald, established in 1967, and Shetula, founded in 1969, are located on village lands.

Only rubble, trees, cactuses, shrubs, and weeds are visible. Most of the site is used for grazing.